Thursday, May 28, 2009

V Factory. Yeah.

Ladies, it's time to revel in your fangirliness. The USA's new answer to the 90s-2000's boyband is here, and their name is V Factory.


The music video for their first single, "Love Struck" (which was written by Swedish popstar Darin), finally saw the light of day this week. You can check it out below.



As the music is cued up during the intro, I get goosebumps. It's eerie and reminiscent. Nothing about the music video is terribly new, but seeing the five boy formation dancing along to a bouncy Swedish pop song brings me back to my younger years, and for whatever reason, it reminds me of *NSYNC's "Tearin' Up My Heart" video set to a Backstreet Boys "Everybody (Backstreet's Back)" sound. Perhaps it's because it is set in a warehouse (like *NSYNC's aforementioned video) but because this is 2009 and we're in the height of a economic recession, it's darker and eerie-r and features more seductive pouting than *NSYNC's silly goofy camaraderie back when Clinton was President. In fact, the dancing in the shadows reminds me quite a bit of New Kids on the Block. Anyone else get that callback?

I was hoping that when the chorus finally presents itself a minute in the boys would be bathed in dizzy amounts colorful light or something, maybe under a discoball (cheesy? sure. but is this dancefloor pop? most definitely). Maybe that's because ever since I first heard the song several months ago, I always closed my eyes and rocked out like I was at a Swedish discotecque. Hmmm. So I find this slightly anticlimatic. Same goes with the random videogirl dancing on her own.

However -- kudos to V Factory for providing the US with the guilty pleasure boyband pop, and for letting more than just two of your members sing lead.

PS - Does anyone else find the blonde, Wesley Quinn, to look quite a bit like Jesse McCartney in this video? Or maybe Nick Carter? Maybe it's just me...

2 comments:

John said...

Wesley is kind of the nondescript blond kid. Every band has to have one, right?

Anonymous said...

to me its sounds like Darin's singing the whole song.

Follow Me on Instagram via @melismaticdiva